Friday, September 3, 2010

Seared Scallops with Farmers' Market Salad

Seared Scallops with Farmers' Market Salad



***Susan's Note: My husband really liked these, and I did too. They were a quick, filling and healthy meal. According to this recipe, it's about 5 Weight Watcher points per serving. BUT I would hesitate to make them again because the scallops were so darn expensive!! I bought 1.33 pounds of fresh scallops at Wegmans for about $20.00. Ugh. And I've heard not to use frozen scallops because once they thaw they are messed up somehow, so I didn't get frozen. I couldn't find "dry packed scallops either," don't really know where I could get those. I dried the scallops on a dish towel before cooking them in a cast iron skillet. I used one bag of "steam in bag" Wegmans frozen corn kernels.***


>>>Cooking Light September 2010

Look for dry-packed scallops, which will brown best.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup salad and about 3 scallops)
Ingredients
2 cups chopped tomato (about 1 pound)
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
Preparation
Combine tomato, basil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; toss gently. Heat a large cast-iron or heavy skillet over high heat. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Pat scallops dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes or until browned. Turn scallops; cook 2 minutes or until done. Remove scallops from pan; keep warm. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add corn to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Add to tomato mixture; toss gently. Serve salad with scallops.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I too find that's the trouble with preparing seafood recipes. The ingredients can be so darn expensive! Unless you buy packaged frozen ingredients instead of fresh. But who wants to use/eat that?