Friday, April 27, 2012

Orzo with Smoky Tomato Vinaigrette

Orzo with Smoky Vinaigrette
by Giada DeLaurentis
Ladies Home Journal
April 2012



***Note from Susan:  A baby has arrived in our house! So I am adding some recent "simple" meals onto this blog.  I have no time to make sides or salads, so "one pot" type dishes are perfect.  This is a good example.  If you don't have fresh basil (I didn't), I used dried and it was fine.  Also, I didn't have smoked salt, though I would like to try that.  I added 1 lb. of cooked ground turkey to add protein.


Giada: My mom loves this dish as a vegetarian main course, and Todd loves it when I add some ground beef to the mix. Either way, I've been on a "smoky" kick lately, exploring different ways to integrate this distinct flavor into recipes. In this one I use smoked salt.
Work: 10 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
1 pound (2 pints) cherry tomatoes
Kosher salt
1 pound orzo
1/2 cup packed basil leaves, torn
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp smoked salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Cup grated Parmesan
1. Place tomatoes in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until tomatoes are tender and the skins are charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large serving bowl.
3. In a blender, puree tomatoes, basil, vinegar, olive oil, honey, smoked salt, and pepper.
4. Pour tomato vinaigrette over pasta and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Serves 4 to 6.

0 comments: